Friday, March 20, 2009

Day 7 . . . St. Augustine, FL to Kennesaw, GA

I can‘t figure for the life of me why Willie Nelson can’t wait to get on the road again. I’m guessing it’s because he’s in the back of his fancy touring bus sippin’ sodas & strummin’ his guitar. Meanwhile some poor schmuck at the front of the bus is driving the wheels off the stupid thing. Speaking as the schmuck doing the driving I can tell you I’m sick of the road.
Apparently sharing the driving to Florida is a lot like getting a puppy. It sounds like fun at first, but after a while Mom ends up doing all the poop scooping. Yesterday, Rachel drove a total of 45 min. Today she drove for 35 minutes & announced she was tired. After a 2 and a half hour nap she awoke & declared she was ready to drive. We had all of 50 miles left to drive for the day. Thanks Rachel.

I must admit that earlier in the day we did go to the beach and wore ourselves out. The beach @ St. Augustine was amazing. You can drive on the beach, but they charge you $8.00 to do it. Needless to say we did not drive on the beach. We both waded in the water & Rachel actually went swimming. It was too cold & windy for me. The sand at St. Augustine’s beach is much coarser than the sand at West Palm Beach or Daytona. I liked the St. Augustine beach the best.

Before we went to the beach we shopped & did a little sightseeing.

Okay, we are now @ our hotel in Kennesaw, Ga. It’s a suburb of Atlanta. I have just survived 1 hour & 20 minutes of my child driving in the dark. Probably 30 minutes of that time was spent going thru Atlanta on a 5 lane freeway. I told Rachel I wasn’t sure if my body would ever unclench again.

Let me tell you what my life is like when Rachel is driving. I try desperately not to yell because I know it will not help. This causes an inner turmoil that you cannot imagine. Every part of me wants to yell, “Just pull over before you kill both of us.” But I don’t do that. I choose to use hand signals.





Now imagine this hand moving left & right. This indicates that you are way to close to the right side of the road & need to pull yourself over before we're in the ditch.





This gesture with the fingers waving back & forth tells the young driver she is too close to the vehicle ahead of her & she needs to back off NOW.

When Rachel begins to drift towards a semi in the next lane hand gestures are tossed out the window & verbal cues become the instruction of choice. Phrases such as "Look out!" "Stay in your own lane!" and "Pay attention!" come spewing out of my mouth. Oh, the fun We've been having.



End of Day 7

No comments:

Post a Comment